Re: [xep-support] Small Bug in FO DTD

From: W. Eliot Kimber (eliot@isogen.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 07:48:52 PST

Nikolai Grigoriev wrote:
> Hi Eliot,
>

>>>Looks like the attlist for fo:table should be using %table-properties;
>>>but it's using %block-properties; (cut and paste error from
>>>fo:table-and-caption?).
>>
>>Wrong fix: fo:table should use %inheritable-properties;, not
>>%block-properties;, I think. But now I'm confused. The inheritance stuff
>>in FO doesn't really play well with DTD attribute declaration syntax.
>

> %block-properties are composed of %inheritable-properties and @id,
> and it is exactly what I meant to appear on fo:table. (They comprise
> %table-properties through %inheritable-properties). Note that
> %inheritable-properties is a collection of all attributes that accept
> expressions: it includes virtually all properties except for @id, @ref-id
> and the likes. (Maybe the entity name is a bit misleading).

Yes, I see that now. I was confused and didn't look closely enough (I
copied these declarations into my own DTD so I could use FO table markup
directly).

As for allowing attributes on empty elements--I read the FO spec as
implying that any inheritible attribute may be specified
anywhere--whether it can be inherited because of the document structure
is another question--but I wouldn't expect a validator to choke if I put
non-sensical (but otherwise allowed) attributes on an empty element
(although I wouldn't mind an informational message that the attributes
cannot have any effect, but that would be a frill).

Cheers,

E.

--
W. Eliot Kimber, eliot@isogen.com