Re: [xep-support] Vector graphics, recommendations?u

From: David Tolpin (dvd@renderx.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 05:57:42 PST

Gustaf,

two options coming:

> I'll be finishing a book soon with plenty of illustrations made in Adobe
> Illustrator 10. I hope to be able to use XEP. I've read XEP 3 would only
> take vector graphics in EPS, which means I need to use the PS backend.

PDF embedding. It will let you prepare vector pictures as PDF documents
and embed them into PDF output. The release is a matter of weeks.

> Since the book is about XML matters, it would make sence to have the images
> in SVG. Is SVG coming back to XEP soon?

SVG is a matter of months, I think.

> In general, what do you think about SVG for printing? Perhaps SVG is more

SVG is the right choice for vector graphics in XML documents. This right choice
still waits for an elegant implementation (fast and small, I mean).

> suitable for web graphics and not for printing? I'm fairly new to the Adobe
> world of publishing, so I don't know what to expect from EPS either. Are
> there other vector graphic formats considered for XEP in the future?

PDF for PDF output, EPS for Postscript output; SVG for both.
At some point in the future, other formats (probably CGM to be the first)
will be supported.

David Tolpin
By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html