Re: [xep-support] Apparent Bug in Text Decoration

From: David Tolpin (dvd@renderx.com)
Date: Sun Nov 03 2002 - 18:49:53 PST

> XEP appears to be failing to preserve the color of text decoration when
> a nested inline sets a different color. For example, this markup:

Yes, it is a known issue; it is a compromise made because preserving
the color with the current specification is a mess. There is no normal
way to express it (the property itself is not inherited, but it is
applied to descendants(???), with color taken from the parent) within
the current XSL FO inheritance model.

Underline/linethrough/overline are drawn along glyph boxes,
not along areas generated by inlines.

The whole idea behind this in the spec is that text-decoration _is_inherited_
but each decoration is a compound property specifying both color and style.
The property itself is applicable to fo:character (should be).

But saying so explicitely would break CSS2 compatibility.

This is doable, but takes time I don't have. We delayed resolving the
issue (it is possible to do through modification of property values internally)
since it didn't seem too important for us.

David Tolpin

By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html