[xep-support] Embedding XEP3 in a Java application

From: Werner Donné (werner.donne@re.be)
Date: Mon Oct 28 2002 - 02:06:04 PST

Hi,

The XEP3.02 user guide says that XEP can be embedded in any Java program to
run as a component. The kind of Java program we intend to embed it in is a
J2EE application server. I therefore have a few questions.

1) Is XEP re-entrant, i.e. can multiple threads run XEP simultaneously without
    interference?

2) Is there another way in the API to set the options than through system
    properties? This is important because an application normally doesn't
    have access to the system properties of the JVM running the application
    server. It would also make the options global for the JVM. They would act
    as global variables. This would make it impossible, for example, to choose
    between PDF and PostScript depending on the request. Ideally the options are
    passed through the stack.

3) The user guide says in the description of the TMPDIR option that each JVM
    must have its own tmp directory. Can I conclude from this that the
    generated filenames are not unique? In an application server environment
    this would be difficult to manage. Potentially two versions of XEP are
    present in the system, because different applications use it but can't all
    upgrade at the same time. One application must not impose a test cycle on
    the others only because it needs an upgrade.
    In J2EE this is solved very naturally by including the components in the ear
    file, instead of installing them globally. Applications are insulated from
    each other. A unique TMPDIR per JVM would make this impossible.

4) For the same reason it should be possible for XEP to load the licence file
    from the class path as a resource.

Regards,

Werner.

--