[xep-support] One Font - Embed and Not Embedded

From: Barry Parish (baparish@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 12:09:52 PDT

However, we have one major configuration issue that we cannot resolve. We are producing proofs of business cards online. When we create the USER PROOF, we must embed the Frutiger font in order to ensure the user can correctly view the PDF. However, once the user approves the PDF, we must create a FINAL PROOF file using the Frutiger font with the font NOT embedded.

In FOP, we simply create two FO files, one referencing the Frutiger font (setup as embedded) and the other referencing a FrutigerNoEmbed font, which is the exact same font file, except with the embed property set to false. But in XEP, we are restricted from doing this since the Name on the font must match the name of the font file: "A <font> element defines a single font. It has a mandatory name attribute that specifies the PostScript name for the font (i.e. the name that will be passed to the PostScript findfont operator). Please note that this name cannot be chosen arbitrarily: it must match the name used in font file(s)".

Bottom line: How can we use the same font file (Frutiger) and sometimes embed it and at other times not embed it? Thanks for any information regarding this issue.

FYI - The font configuration that allows us to do this in FOP:

By using the Service, you expressly agree to these Terms of Service http://www.renderx.com/tos.html